Fruit Snacks are such a classic kid snack! They also happen to be one of the most malignant snacks on the market. They’re packed with the usual suspects: modified corn starch, artificial flavors, artificial food dyes, rancid vegetables oils, and preservatives- just to name a few.
I think, no- I KNOW- we can do MUCH better than that. I have a recipe for fruit snacks that is not only free of toxic ingredients, but is actually super nutrient dense!
One of the beautiful aspects of this recipe is that it can be made with ANY fruit. This week I got about 18 kiwi fruit in my CSA box, and I know we can’t possible eat that many. However, if I put it into a fruit snack, my little one could devour all 18 of them in a single sitting. But you can totally make these with absolutely ANY fruit.
Not only do kiwi fruit add a tropical flare to your fruit routine, but they’re also nutritionally superior! With as much vitamin C as an orange and tons of antioxidants, these little green guys are super immune boosting fruit. Along with the lemon and raw honey in this recipe, these little gummies are better than any flu shot!
The other ingredient in these Healthy Sour Kiwi Gummies is gelatin! I’m not talking about the nasty stuff that gives Jell-O its’ characteristic jiggle. I’m talking about the superfood that is PACKED with collagen, protein, and essential amino acids.
That’s right guys. These chewy little bites of goodness are way better than any vitamin C gummy or multivitamin you can buy at the store. And this is a five minute deal- really. It takes less than five minutes to make these. Your kids (and you) will love them. Give them a try!
Here’s the recipe:
- 60 Healthy Sour Kiwi Gummies
- Silicon Molds– These are optional. You can just pour it into a baking dish and then cut into squares. But this mold makes fun shapes.
- Peel the kiwi and chuck them into the blender. Puree until smooth.
- Pour the pureed kiwi into a small saucepan. Squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon. Heat over medium heat until just steaming, not boiling.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the honey.
- Slowly whisk in gelatin 1 tbsp at a time until all of the gelatin is well incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the molds. Place the mold onto a sheet tray and toss it into the fridge to set for about 15 minutes.
- Pop the gummies out and serve or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Note* I only have 1 mold and this recipe makes 2 molds worth (each mold is 30 impressions), so I do the recipe in 2 batches. I don’t recommend stirring the gelatin into the pureed kiwi until just before you put them in the mold because they will set and make it difficult to get into the mold.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.