I just can’t seem to shake this salad people. It’s one of those dishes I just never get sick of. Perhaps that’s why I made it four times last week. But hey, that’s the beauty of super nutritious food right? Beet and Arugula Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette is a really fresh, light, and perfectly balanced salad that you too will want to make just about every day once you give it a try.
The inspiration for this dish comes from a local steakhouse that my husband and I like. In the original dish, they simply top some fresh spinach with boiled and sliced beets, drizzle with a balsamic reduction, and sprinkle a little salt and pepper. Super simple, fresh, and crisp. But I always have to put my spin on things, and if there’s anything that the original salad is missing, it’s a bit of balance. Although the salad is totally delicious, I miss a little bit of brightness in the dish. So when I set out to make it at home, I wanted to add a bit of citrus to tang the whole shebang up a bit.
The grapefruit in this salad perfectly accomplishes the tang that I crave! The beets are really earthy and meaty. Arugula is the perfect green for this salad because it’s peppery, hearty and doesn’t wilt when you toss it with the vinaigrette. Add a drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil for a velvety texture and some healthy fat to help you absorb all of the nutrients from the grapefruit, beet and arugula. And a generous sprinkle of sea salt and pepper round the whole dish out.
Ready for the recipe?
- Wash your beets well and place them in a large pot.
- Cover the beets with water and add in your apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
- Put the lid on and bring the water to a rolling boil, then reduce and simmer until the beets are tender, about 30-45 minutes
- When the beets are cooked, remove them from the water and allow them to cool enough to handle.
- When the beets have cooled, it should be fairly easy to peel the skins off using a paper towel or kitchen rag (use and old one though because it will now be a red kitchen rag).
- When the beets are peeled, slice them into ⅛ to ¼ inch thick slices.
- Spread your arugula out on a large platter and arrange the beet slices on the arugula.
- Peel your grapefruit, making sure to remove as much of the pith as possible. That's bitter!
- Using a paring knife, cut the grapefruit sections out, excluding the membranes (tidbit of info, this is what it means to supreme, in cooking terms). I do this directly over the salad so that the extra grapefruit juice falls on the salad.
- When you've cut out the segments, squeeze the remainder of the grapefruit all over the salad and discard the rest.
- Drizzle the salad with olive oil.
- Sprinkle sea salt and pepper generously on the salad. It takes quite a bit of salt!
Do you like beets? What’s your favorite way to eat them? If you do, try out my Roasted Beet and Basil Salad with Hot Bacon Vinaigrette!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.